Sunday, April 10, 2011

ENOUGH HISTORY

I have used the previous posts to tell how I came to on-site landscape painting and the steps that led me to the small-acale watercolor format I have been using for the last 30 years.  That done, I am now going to abandon any further attempts at chronology and just present my artwork, some old, some new, some sold, some available for purchase or exhibitions.  They will mostly be landscapes, but you may see the odd flower or animal or artifact from a museum, and I will include some paintings from my AGE OF IRON: Railroad Art by George C. Clark series, most of which are painted on-site at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois.  I usually work on 10 x14 or 12 x 16 inch blocks of Arches hot press watercolor paper, but I occasionally use other papers and work larger or smaller.  Most of this work will have been painted on-site, but there are occasions when that is impossible and I have to work from my on-site photographs.  This can happen when the sun is going down, or when I have to be someplace and don't have time to paint, or when stopping to paint would inconvenience my traveling companions.  There are also times when I will do an ink drawing on-site and add color later from memory or photographs.
Backyards, Chicago, 15 x 20 inch watercolor by George C. Clark    AVAILABLE
I painted Backyards, Chicago on a rainy October Sunday from the external stairway that used to lead to the second floor of my house on the Northwest Side of Chicago.  I had to stop painting several times to avoid being rained on.  My neighbors' backyards look a little different now than they did then, but Rick and Rachel's big elm tree is still going strong.

No comments: