Wednesday, April 2, 2014

AN AFTERNOON IN THE COUNTRY

An Afternoon in the Country, 30 x 40 inch oil and colored pencil on paper painting by George C. Clark    AVAILABLE

Some years ago I did an exhibition of landscapes with an art dealer in Lake Forest, Illinois, a posh old money suburb on the shore of Lake Michigan north of Chicago.  She wanted to show some art with local interest, so I painted a couple of Lake Forest subjects, including this painting which I titled House in Lake Forest.  Several of my Italian landscapes sold, but not this painting, even though the dealer showed it to both the family that built the house in the 1920s and its current owner.  So I added the three Lombardy poplar trees which weren't there, changed the title to An Afternoon in the Country, and now I tell people it's in the suburbs of Paris.  The music room is at the right.

No comments: