Sunday, October 25, 2015

ON THE EAST SUSSEX SEACOAST

The View from the Beekeeper's Cottage, 10.5 x 14.5 inch ink and watercolor by George C. Clark    AVAILABLE

I drew this one in England about a month ago.  Those who know who the beekeeper in the painting's title is may appreciate what it means when I tell them that two and a half weeks ago I had breakfast at Speedy's Sandwich Bar and Cafe in London at a table positioned almost exactly where Mycroft told Watson the bad news about Irene Adler.  And I enjoyed the omelette, chips and cappuccino too.

UPDATE:  APRIL 20, 2016
I just saw the movie Mr. Holmes on Netflix.   In it, Ian McKellan portrays 93 year old retired detective Sherlock Holmes keeping bees on the East Sussex downs, a retirement mentioned several times in Conan Doyle's stories.  I swear that when I made and titled this painting in England last fall I had no idea that these chalk cliffs called the Seven Sisters had been portrayed in the movie as being within walking distance of Mr. Holmes' (the beekeeper's) cottage.  

No comments: