Sunday, November 11, 2018

NOTRE DAME DE PARIS IN 1976

Notre Dame de Paris from the Quai se Montebello, 24 x 18 inch oil and pencil on paper by George C. Clark    SOLD

Let's crank up Mr. Peabody's WABAC machine and look at one of the oldest pieces I've posted here.  I spent the summer of 1976 attending the New York Studio School summer session in Paris.  My wife and I sublet an apartment in Passy and every weekday I painted either from nude models in a studio at the American Center for Artists and Students on the Boulevard Raspail or at various outdoor locations around Paris, all under the tutelage of New York painters Elaine deKooning and Leland Bell.  I painted this the day the class set up on the Seine riverfront across from the cathedral.  I never exhibited this painting because when we got back home from Europe I showed friends some of my work from Paris, and one of them bought this on the spot.  Thanks, Jim.    

No comments: